Labour Market Information
Labour Market Information (LMI)
LMI is information which relates to the labour market such as data on employment, wages, qualifications, job openings and working conditions.
Why is understanding LMI important?
There is no point in choosing a career path or job that is in severe decline, or is not available in your chosen geographical area. LMI can help you determine:
- Which industries and sectors are employing people
- What hours, wages and working conditions can realistically be expected
- Which job sectors are growing in the future
- Where there might be opportunities for self-employment or new business development
- Which new skills or qualifications which would greatly improve prospects of gaining employment in a particular industry or sector
Did You Know? It’s estimated that most young people leaving education today will have between 10-14 jobs by the time they are 38.
The world of work is changing all the time. There are lots of reasons why the labour market can change – as a result of political events, globalisation or developments in technology. The supply of, and demand for, labour is constantly changing. Employers have an ever-evolving list of demands in terms of employability skills. It’s important to take some time to find out as much as possible about the different jobs that interest you, the type of work, qualifications and skills needed as well as the personal qualities required. It’s also worth finding out if the occupational areas you are interested in are expanding and taking on workers.
LMI for All is an online data portal, which connects and standardises existing sources of high quality, reliable labour market information (LMI) with the aim of informing careers decisions.
Start in Kent includes helpful information about jobs and career opportunities in Kent as well as information about local education and training provision.